Ch’illiwack Community Storm Response – Tourism Chilliwack
Severe rainfall has caused significant flooding in the Fraser Valley, affecting many communities, and both residents and visitors. Chilliwack is one of the communities that has been hit a little harder, from flooding to road closures, supply issues and stranded travellers.
Finding relevant and up-to-date information is essential for those affected, and we wanted to provide a way to find it easily without hassle during an already stressful time. We’ll continue to update this blog as we learn more over the coming days and weeks.
Highway & Travel Updates
CLOSED Highway 1 – Trans-Canada (Chilliwack – Hope)
- Highway 1, in both directions. Mudslide between Annis Road and K Street for 38.4 km (Hope to 2 km east of Chilliwack). Road closed. Estimated time of opening not available. Assessment in progress.
- Highway 1, in both directions. Flooding between Flood Hope Road and Junction Highway 8 for 144.3 km (Hope to Spences Bridge). Rock slide. Road closed. Estimated time of opening not available. Assessment in progress.
CLOSED Highway 1 – Trans-Canada (Abbotsford – Chilliwack)
- Highway 1, in both directions. Flooding between Exit 90: McCallum Road and Exit 109: Yale Road for 20.1 km (Abbotsford to Chilliwack). The road is closed. Estimated time of opening not available. Assessment in progress.
OPEN Highway 9 – Agassiz-Rosedale (Highway 1 to Highway 7 Connection)
- Access through Rosedale detour.
CLOSED Highway 7 – Lougheed (Agassiz – Hope)
- Highway 7, in both directions. Mudslide between Johnson Slough Rest Area and Ross Road for 12.6 km (Kent to 1 km east of Hope). Road closed. Assessment in progress. Detour not available. Flushing commercial traffic westbound out of Hope.
OPEN Essential Travel Only Highway 7 – Lougheed (Vancouver – Agassiz)
- Highway 7, in both directions. Mudslide between Highlands Boulevard and Bodnar Road (Kent). Flooding. Expect Major delays due to congestion. Open to one lane each direction.
Other Road Closures
City crews are in the field doing sector checks and reporting on road closures. The following list of full and partial road closures will be updated as more information is available.
- Keith Wilson Road: Open for residents of Yarrow only – no access to Abbotsford
- Vedder Mtn Road: A single lane is open to residents of Yarrow – no access to Abbotsford
- Elk View Road: Closed from Ryder Lake Road intersection (at the 3 way stop) to the second Ryder Lake Road
- Bowman Road: Closed
- Majuba Hill Road: Closed from Wilson Road to Nikada Drive
- Marble Hill Road: Closed from Marble Hill to the end of Ramsay
- Upper Prairie Road/Chilliwack Central Road: Open, use caution (local traffic only)
- Prairie Central Road /Patterson Road: Open, use caution (local traffic only)
- Thornton Road /Extrom Road: Closed (local traffic only)
- Elkview Road /Haley Road: Partial closure, single lane traffic
- Old Orchard Road: Closed from 42721 Old Orchard to Shrewsberry
BC Helicopters 604-639-9090
Great River Fishing Adventures
- Between Hope and Chilliwack
Available Shelters & More
Tourism Chilliwack has partnered with the Chilliwack Chamber in supporting the City and Reception Centre with housing evacuees and all guests finding themselves without shelter in Chilliwack. If you or someone you know is in need of housing, please call 604-392-1183 between 8AM – 8PM to request assistance.
Residents who have extra space available and are willing to assist those requiring shelter can contact Leanna at the Chilliwack Chamber via email email@example.com to register.
*Please note, Tourism Ch’illiwack and the Chilliwack Chamber are not able to perform background checks on residents or evacuees at this time. Any participants taking part in this initiative do so at their own risk.
Emergency Support Services Reception Centre
The Emergency Support Services Reception Centre is located at the Chilliwack Landing Sports Centre at 45530 Spadina Avenue for anyone needing immediate assistance.
Thanks to the overwhelming support from our community, we are fully staffed with volunteers at this time. If we need more volunteers, those who gave us their information will be contacted. We appreciate your support!
While staff and volunteers appreciate the many offers of donations for the reception centre, the centre is at capacity for supplies and cannot accept any further donations. Please do not bring donations to the Landing Sports Centre at this time.
We want to thank our community for coming together during the events and aftermath of these last few days. Thank you to the first responders, volunteers, and everyone who have been selflessly helping those in need!